Amberoot was created to help fight the climate change and is the first multi-brand retailer worldwide focused on eliminating fashion industry's dependency on fossil fuels (coal & oil).
1. ELIMINATING FASHION INDUSTRY'S DEPENDENCY ON FOSSIL FUELS
Issues With Fossil Fuels?
- Fossil fuel companies are driving at least half of global warming.
- Fossil fuels pollute air and water and thus cause lots of health problems. From apparel industry perspective we are particularly concerned with microfiber pollution washed away from our synthetic clothing, which is by far the biggest issue for ocean plastic pollution (35-85% of all plastic waste in oceans) and consequently ends up in our stomachs already.
- Fossil fuel companies are responsible for about one-third of sea level rise.
- Fossil fuel companies flourish by providing cheap products only because of unfair competition (government subsidies, impact costs for our health and environment are excluded from their market price).
- Oil and coal are non-renewable resources.
What's Fashion Industry Got To Do With Fossil Fuels?
To tell you the truth - basically all:
- 2/3 of all clothing produced worldwide are made from synthetic fabrics (polyester, nylon, acrylic, spandex, lycra). These fabrics are made from fossil fuels.
- Fossil fuels are also used to make pesticides. The remaining 1/3 of all clothing is mainly cotton and it uses 25% of world’s pesticides.
- Chemicals used for dyeing and treating of textiles are also made from coal and oil.
Thought exercise: Just spend a minute to think of what’s left of the fashion industry without fossil fuels?
How Are We Working To Eliminate Fashion Industry's Dependency On Fossil Fuels?
- We raise awareness about fashion industry’s dependency on fossil fuels and inform about the alternative biodegradable solutions.
- We sell a selection of garments made from biodegradable and much more environmentally friendly fabrics such as linen, hemp, organic cotton, food waste fabrics, etc. on our international online shop.
- We do not sell clothing made from synthetic fabrics (<5% of product's content).
2. QUALITY VS QUANTITY - BEING MINDFUL ABOUT EARTH'S RESOURCES
The products we choose to sell are made with quality and durability in mind. Design for durability ensures that earth’s resources are handled in a more mindful manner and due to good quality of garments less waste is produced.
3. CHOOSING BIODIVERSITY & HEALTHY PLANET
Beauty, sustainable economy and health are among the consequences of biodiversity. We love clothing made from diverse materials, because these materials are substantially more suited for local weather conditions and employ local communities. We sell clothing from fabrics such as hemp, linen, organic cotton, etc.